Take an ordinary journal or sketch pad from drab to fab with Sandtastik’s Colored Sand! Add three dimensional texture with your favorite stencil designs! Perfect for a quick last minute gift or back to school! Visit Sandtastik online for the full step-by-step project tutorial!
Greetings fellow stencil enthusiasts! Today I am super excited to share a new project that I recently created with Stencil1 for Dia de Los Muertos!
I absolutely LOVE all of Stencil1’s creative and stylish stencils, but this La Calavera stencil with the sombrero is one of my absolute favorites! I embellished a plain black t-shirt with fabric paint and glitter and then added these adorable studs and pom poms to the sombrero brim – a fun little detail that takes this wearable art project deep into the KITSCH zone!
Enjoy this new project tutorial showing you how to recreate this festive Day of the Dead t-shirt at home!
- Pre-Washed Plain T-Shirt (or you can add this design to a Tote Bag or Throw Pillow)
- Stencil1 La Calavera Stencil
- Fabric Paint in 2 Colors
- Fabric Glue
- Stenciling Paint Brush
- Embroidery Thread & Needle
- Sewing Thread & Needle
- Masking Tape
- Stick Pins
- Craft Mat
Gather up all your supplies.
Place a craft mat inside the t-shirt to prevent the fabric paint from bleeding though to the other side.
Position the stencil in place with masking tape, using a ruler to center the design.
Carefully stencil the base color of the design onto the shirt.
Allow paint to dry and then accent the design with an additional color to add interest.
For a super snazzy skull adhere coordinating glitter to the accent color with fabric glue.
Then carefully remove the stencil and allow the design to dry. Take a moment now to clean your stencil and admire your awesome stenciled design!
Now you are ready to embellish!
Roll up the sleeves of the t-shirt and secure the rolls in place with some stick pins.
With some coordinating embroidery thread, whip stitch the sleeves for an added homemade design accent.
Then you’re ready to apply the pom poms to the brim of the sombrereo. Stitch each individual pom pom in place and then secure them each with a drop of fabric glue. You’re going to want this piece to be made well to withstand all the wild Day of the Dead parties you’ll be attending!
If glitter and pom poms, just aren’t enough bling for you, then go all out and…
Add some STUDS!
Alternate studs and pom poms along the brim of the sombrero! Set aside to dry and then go out and rock your La Calavera t-shirt in style!
Feel free put your own spin on this project by adding beads, bling or switching up the stitching on the sleeves! You can use these same techniques on all sorts of creative projects with your favorite Stencil1 stencils! Their diverse assortment of designs are super inspiring, and it’s so EASY to create great projects with awesome Stencil1 stencils! The creative possibilities are truly endless!
In addition to Day of the Dead, Stencil1 also has you covered for HALLOWEEN! Click HERE for some more spooky stenciled inspiration!
Be sure to visit Stencil1 online today to shop their extensive collection of stylish designs for your next DIY project!
Greetings DIY enthusiasts! Today I am super excited to share this fun tutorial of a custom headboard that I created with amazingly cool stencils from Stencil1!
Stencil1 was founded by the brilliant street artist Ed Roth, a pioneer in the new stencil and DIY movement. Ed recently brought Brooklyn to Paris in the first ever Brooklyn Pop Up Shop at Le Bon Marche. In other news Stencil1 was voted the 2015 Product of the Year in Home Design! Check it out!
“If Martha Stewart and Banksy had a love child, it would be Stencil1.” — Brain Pickings
Deck out your beach house, or simply bring the beach to your house with this fun nautical headboard project! Relax year round in the cool ocean inspired surroundings, complete with whales, octopus, weathered wood and nautical rope detailing. Perfect for dreaming about the deep blue sea!
- Stencil1 Whale Stencil
- Stencil1 Octopus Stencil
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brushes
- Masking Tape
- Stapler & Staples
- Wooden Pallets, Crates or Boards
1) I created this embellished headboard using two leftover wooden construction scaffolds. I left the two pieces separate for ease of mounting and also in case they someday would be used for two twin beds. You could also create this same look using scrap plywood, pallets, crates or by simply nailing together some wooden boards.
2) Whitewash the wooden headboard pieces with a mixture of white acrylic paint and water. This technique gives the boards a nice bleached, beach, weathered look. 3) Then you are ready to begin the stenciling process. Choose some acrylic paint in cool shades of grey, green, blue and an unexpected pop of orange. To accent this design I chose the cheerful Whale and Octopus Stencil1 stencils! I love them because they are unisex and appeal to people of all ages! 4) Tape the stencil in position and get started stenciling the aquatic designs onto the headboard. 5) Use a stiff stippling brush to carefully apply the intricate designs to your headboard. 6) Once you are done, lift the stencil up to reveal the beautiful design! 7) Continue the process of adorning your headboard with beautiful aquatic creatures. 8) For and extra weathered look, use a dry brush technique to add more depth and dimension to your stenciled images in a contrasting color. 9) Once your stenciling is complete you are ready to add the nautical rope detailing! Simply staple the rope in a winding curving pattern, to the areas between your stenciled designs. 10) Once you’ve added the rope, you are ready to mount the headboard to the wall behind your bed!
Here are some pictures of the final product in the room and some close ups of the aquatic details! I absolutely love the way this project came out. The Stencil1 stencils made this project super easy and stylish! Be sure to visit Stencil1 online to shop from their wide assortment of innovative stencils for your next DIY home décor project! The creative possibilities are endless!