Our partner brand Westcott has a brand new line of DIY crafting tools! In honor of this exciting development we are giving away FIVE SETS of the new ProjectMate tools! Enter the contest HERE during the month of January for a chance to win!
The Craftys, the awards that celebrate the best in DIY and craft across the United States, launched on Nov. 14, 2016 and will culminate in a livestream broadcast in February 2017 from New York City. The Craftys is positioned to become the ultimate prize for crafters in many different disciplines, including categories that span from traditional crafts such as knitting, sewing and scrapbooking to “Geek Crafts.”
The Craftys’ Best in Show winner receives $1,000 and each category winner gets $200. Launched in 2014, the annual event averages over 1,200 entries and 400,000 votes.
This year’s judging panel includes HGTV host Laurie March, world champion skater Tai Babilonia and bespectacled singer-songwriter Lisa Loeb.
“I love doing crafts with my kids, my friends, and even my new album cover looks kind of crafty,” says judge Lisa Loeb, whose most recent album is “Feel What U Feel.” “I’m happy to be a judge for The Craftys, which is a great way to celebrate creativity.”
In addition to traditional craft disciplines, ShurTech Duck Tape is helping to launch a new category for Duct Tape Crafts and Red Heart Yarn is sponsoring a Baby Crafts award, for those who make items for newborns and toddlers. Another new category is Geek Crafts, which includes cosplay costumes, fan DIY and handmade technology.
Several companies and organizations are partnering with event, including Darice, Red Heart Yarn, Tuttle Books, ShurTech Duck Tape, FaveCrafts, TueNight, the Craft and Hobby Association, Babble, Westcott, FoodStirs, Consumer Crafts and the Society of Decorative Painters.
“So many wonderful crafts are made every year that are only seen by friends of the creator. The Craftys are a great way to celebrate amazing work,” says Sarah Kubelka, Social Marketing Manager for Darice, one of America’s largest craft supply manufacturers.
Crafters can enter their best projects online at TheCraftys.com and fans can nominate their favorite makers through January 9, 2017. Entry categories include fashion, sewing, quilting, scrapbooking, home decor, jewelry-making and edible crafts. The “Best of Show” award will be presented to one of the category winners for the craft that has it all – creativity, great design and that elusive “It” factor.
The Craftys is proud to introduce an acclaimed panel of judges:
The Editors of Babble
Marisa Pawelko – Modern Surrealist
Yolanda Soto Lopez – All Crafts Channel
Marly Bird – Yarn Thing Podcast
Beth Kingston – Kingston Crafts
Vickie Howell – DIY Network / HGTV
Ed Roth – Stencil 1
Mark Montano – Big Ass Book of Crafts
Galit Lebow – FoodStirs
Amber Kemp-Gerstel – Damask Love
The awards event will be livestreamed in February 2017 from New York City.
This fun and easy customized double pet feeder is the perfect for project to create for your pampered pooches! ImpressArt Metal Stamps allow you to create fabulous custom creations for your fine furry friends! Makes a great gift for Fido’s birthday or welcome home celebration!
1) Begin by stamping the dogs’ names onto the stamping blanks. Simply position the blank onto the stamping block with the Stamp Straight Tape and hammer each letter into place. The Soft Strike Pewter material makes it super easy to imprint your pets’ names.
2) Next apply a little bit of black paint to the imprinted letters.
3) While the paint is still wet, immediately wipe it off with a paper towel, leaving paint in the recessed areas. This process helps the names to really stand out.
4) Next you are ready to mark where the holes will go on the bowl to mount these cute little nametags. You can reuse the Stamp Straight Tape to position the nametags in place and mark the holes with a permanent marker.
5) To create the holes, hold a stickpin with pliers and heat the pin with the flame from a lighter. With the hot pin, poke holes through the bowl in the marked areas.
6) Place crystal rivets in each of the holes of the nametags. Carefully apply permanent glue into the holes you made in the bowl and onto the back of the nametags. Position the nametags in place and set aside to dry.
7) Cut strips of adhesive bling with scissors.
8) Apply the strips of adhesive bling to accent the bottom portion of the bowl.
9) Sit back and admire your beautiful customized dog bowl!
10) Fill it up and serve your doggies in style with their very own stylish custom feeder!
*For safety, we advise that you always supervise the use of this bowl by pets that are prone to chewing.
Greetings DIY enthusiasts! Today I am super excited to share this fun tutorial of a custom headboard that I created with amazingly cool stencils from Stencil1!
Stencil1 was founded by the brilliant street artist Ed Roth, a pioneer in the new stencil and DIY movement. Ed recently brought Brooklyn to Paris in the first ever Brooklyn Pop Up Shop at Le Bon Marche. In other news Stencil1 was voted the 2015 Product of the Year in Home Design! Check it out!
“If Martha Stewart and Banksy had a love child, it would be Stencil1.” — Brain Pickings
Deck out your beach house, or simply bring the beach to your house with this fun nautical headboard project! Relax year round in the cool ocean inspired surroundings, complete with whales, octopus, weathered wood and nautical rope detailing. Perfect for dreaming about the deep blue sea!
1) I created this embellished headboard using two leftover wooden construction scaffolds. I left the two pieces separate for ease of mounting and also in case they someday would be used for two twin beds. You could also create this same look using scrap plywood, pallets, crates or by simply nailing together some wooden boards.
2) Whitewash the wooden headboard pieces with a mixture of white acrylic paint and water. This technique gives the boards a nice bleached, beach, weathered look. 3) Then you are ready to begin the stenciling process. Choose some acrylic paint in cool shades of grey, green, blue and an unexpected pop of orange. To accent this design I chose the cheerful Whale and Octopus Stencil1 stencils! I love them because they are unisex and appeal to people of all ages! 4) Tape the stencil in position and get started stenciling the aquatic designs onto the headboard. 5) Use a stiff stippling brush to carefully apply the intricate designs to your headboard. 6) Once you are done, lift the stencil up to reveal the beautiful design! 7) Continue the process of adorning your headboard with beautiful aquatic creatures. 8) For and extra weathered look, use a dry brush technique to add more depth and dimension to your stenciled images in a contrasting color. 9) Once your stenciling is complete you are ready to add the nautical rope detailing! Simply staple the rope in a winding curving pattern, to the areas between your stenciled designs. 10) Once you’ve added the rope, you are ready to mount the headboard to the wall behind your bed!
Here are some pictures of the final product in the room and some close ups of the aquatic details! I absolutely love the way this project came out. The Stencil1 stencils made this project super easy and stylish! Be sure to visit Stencil1 online to shop from their wide assortment of innovative stencils for your next DIY home décor project! The creative possibilities are endless!